Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What the future holds for phones and computers


Computers and cell phones have become essential items that people within our society use daily.  For most of us living in the Western world, it would be hard for us to imagine our lives if we did not have these devices.  With that being said, what does the future hold for these two devices?  Will computers eventually become obsolete because today’s cell phone can do all the things a computer can do?  Think about it for a second.  If you pick up a really good phone, you can perform all the actions a computer does, including talking and texting people.  Plus, your cell phone is much easier to carry around than your laptop around.  However, is it realistic to expect someone to look at such a small screen for hours on ends to get their work done?  Also, data and information is greatly reduced in order to fit on your phone screen.  I find that when I use the internet on my phone to check my e-mail or look at scores on the ESPN website, about the half the information is given to me.  Unlike a phone I am able to view the content on a computer without restrictions, due to the different codes written for phones and the screen size, making it very convenient to view while at home.  With some the features a phone may lack, the cell phone sure has come a long way considering what they used to look like and what they were capable of doing.  I drop my jaw in amazement every time I see Zack Morrison from Saved by the Bell pull out that “brick” they used to call a phone back in the early 90’s.  I even chuckle to myself when I think about the way my first phone looked like and what it was capable of doing, and it was only four years ago.  As well, computers keep improving seemingly by the day and it will be interesting to see what will happen to these two devices that are used so frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment